Welcome to my F-ing life!




Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pinwheel-O-Beef



My Mom makes a similar dish, one with flank steak stuffed with mozzarella, and it is very yummy indeed.  It's quick and easy to make, which appeals to my inner lazy cook in me. You know what I'm talking about, right?  Those nights where you want something tasty, that will fill you up and that has minimal ingredients and effort involved. Yeah, those... I knew you knew what I was referring to.

But today the 'lazy cook' portion of my brain was viciously attacked by the 'can't leave well enough alone so I have to play around with it' portion (which, sadly, is a much larger chunk than any other part of my brain) and...well...I came up with this little beauty:




Pinwheel-O-Beef

2 cloves garlic, minced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
8 ounces fontina cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 flank steak (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed of excess fat and butterflied
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400.

In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, scallions, parsley, fontina, parmesan, and bread crumbs and mix well. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil and mix well. Set aside.

Open up the butterflied flank steak and arrange it so the grain of the meat is parallel to you, and season exposed side with salt and pepper. Spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the beef, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the side furthest from you; press and gently pack the stuffing mixture onto the beef to keep it in place. Starting from the side nearest to you, roll up the meat like a jelly roll, pressing any stuffing that falls out of the ends back into the roll. Place the rolled beef seam side down on a jelly roll pan. Brush the outside of the roll with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Cook the beef in a 400 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment