Welcome to my F-ing life!




Monday, August 30, 2010

Easy Breezy Summer Salad - Shrimp, Orange and Avocado Salad



Summer is almost over.  For those of you already back in school, summer is over.  As much as I love winter and fall dishes, I still love a hearty (read: not hungry within two hours after eating it) summer salad.

You can always play with a salad and add or drop whatever you like. It won't get mad at you, I promise.  Personally, I really used to dislike salads. Regular (lettuce, tomato, onion and dressing) salads. Boring and pretty tasteless, I think. They don't fill me up at all, and you will find me raiding the cabinets before too long.

Now? I like 'em. But I like 'em my way...with tons of "stuff" in them. Like this one!! After eating a plate of this, I was indeed full and satisfied.  No nighttime kitchen raids for me...



Shrimp, Orange and Avocado Salad
serves 6



2 heads of romaine lettuce, shredded
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
6 small easy-peel oranges, peeled and segments pulled apart
1 cup red or green grapes, halved
1 pound shrimp, cooked, peeled, deveined with tails removed
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
1 tsp lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, mustard, salt and red pepper flakes. Set aside.

Sprinkle lemon juice over avocado chunks so they don't turn brown. Set aside. (Cutting the avocado open and slicing/dicing is usually one of the very last steps I do.)

Divide romaine among six serving plates. Scatter red onion, avocado, grapes, orange segments and shrimp. Drizzle with dressing mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment