Welcome to my F-ing life!




Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Retro 80's Movies Reviewed by The Drama Queen: U.H.F.



Hi there! Drama Queen here.  In an effort to better understand my 80's obsessed (and forever quoting!) parents, I thought it might be fun to spend a chunk of my summer watching some of their favorite movies from the 80's. Not only do I get to spend some quality fun time with them (and contrary to popular teenage attitudes, I actually do like to spend time with them, because my parents are...what's the 80's phrase? Oh yeah...Totally Awesome!), but I also get to witness some good and bad 80's movies and see first hand where some of the things Mom and Dad constantly say/quote actually come from...


Today, we travel to the wonderful world of 1989 amidst the offices and hallways of Channel U62...


U.H.F. (1989)



There are only three words to sum up this hilarious movie:

Weird. Al. Yankovic.

Yessssss!

Weird Al proves himself the king of skit, spoof and everything in between. I grew up to a ton of Yankovic material...DVD's of The Weird Al Show, all of his song parodies, and I even got to see him live in concert rocking out with his trusty accordion! We even made a video for Papa Bear's 40th birthday to Weird Al's song, Albuquerque (it's his favorite Weird Al song - the video was awesome, by the way). I am well versed in Weird Al-dom. My parents didn't raise no fool...

The fact that he had made a movie completely blew my teenage mind! Don't get me wrong - I adore the man! It's just that when Mom told me that he pretty much owned the movie, I was shocked. Movie? Bring it on! All in all, I loved the film. It is guaranteed to make anyone laugh until the tears come! The character of George Newman was, of course, my favorite character. Being the comedic genius Weird Al is, how could he not play my favorite character?

This scene is just pure hilarity! It's what they should show under the definition of hilarity in the dictionary...  Yes, this shows cruelty to animals. And yes, I am very against that...in real life. But c'mon...flying poodles? Epic much?!

I "got" most, if not all of the 80's references in the movie too. And who wants to drink from the fire hose??? I do! I do! Did I mention the both my parents have a Spatula City tee shirt?? Yeah, they're kinda cool like that.

Drama Queen Rating:  4


Wicked Chef says:
Quintessential family movie. Our family, anyway. And yes - we do actually have Spatula City tee shirts. U.H.F. is slapstick, goofball comedy at its finest 97 minutes. So many great scenes, so many fantastic quotes, and best of all, Weird Al.  We beyond-love Weird Al. This is the only thing that I like Michael Richards or Fran Drescher in. When life gets too serious, it's time to watch this movie. In the wise words of George Newman: You gotta grab life by the lips and yank as hard as you can! 


So here is a crazy good recipe for a crazy good movie!!

"Porktater" Cheese Sliders


1 package of soft dinner rolls
1 small bag of frozen shredded hash browns
Spicy brown mustard (optional)
16-20 slices of your favorite cheese
8-10 thin pork cutlets, cut in half (should give you 16-20 "mini" cutlets)
Flour, seasoned with salt, pepper and cayenne (for dredging)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup hot sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter

Prepare the hash browns according to package directions.

While the hash browns are cooking:  Melt the butter into the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. While that is working its magic, add the hot sauce to the bowl with the beaten egg. The seasoned flour for dredging should be in another separate bowl, but I'm sure you figured that out already.

Dip the cutlets into the egg mixture, then dredge in flour. Place cutlets in pan and cook about 3-4 minutes per side.  Cook in batches if necessary. Remove cutlets and keep warm.

To assemble your Porktater Cheese Sliders:  Cut each dinner roll in half horizontally to serve as the bun. On top of the bottom half of the roll, spread mustard if using and top with a mini cutlet. Top the cutlet with hash browns to cover. Top hash browns with your favorite cheese. I used American, but not because it's my favorite...it's what I had on hand. In this concoction, it wasn't half bad.  Top the slider with the top part of the roll and you're all set for your Porktater experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment