Welcome to my F-ing life!




Sunday, May 9, 2010

Not all Superheros wear Spandex...

...

Today is Mothers Day.

Happy Day to all those Moms out there (you all know who you are...and if you don't know who you are, we need to have a sit down!) who tirelessly brave every day hurdles and hassles to make the world a better place for our children.  Moms get the job of 30 done. You can always count on Mom.  They wear their hearts on their sleeve, always have a tissue if needed, a band-aid and a kiss to make it all better, and the best shoulder to cry on. Moms rule the world.

Moms, go put your feet up and catch up on your favorite hobby for a moment or two...I need to have a word with the children.

Hey kids!! C'mere...lean in closer...I want to clue you in on something...

I don't know if anyone has hipped you to this tidbit or not, but have you ever noticed that there is no such thing as Childrens Day, Daughters Day, Sons Day or anything like that? Do you know why?

Let me clue you in as to why there is no such day....m'kay?

First, let me start by pointing out you all get more crap (nowadays more than ever) for your birthdays and major conglomerate holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, etc.) that your parent(s) go utterly broke getting you the latest "iWhatever" is on the market. How many ways do you need to connect to the internet? Really? Well, you don't need yet another holiday to get the latest gadget. 

Second, and most importantly (and should be the most obvious...but it never is sadly) Moms (and Dads too, but that's another post) need a day to be revered. Most children really have no idea how much Mom does, what they sacrifice, and how much they love.  To be honest, you won't know...until you have kids. Yeah, it's an insider parent thing. Your Mom is literally a part of you - and you are literally a part of her. You can't say that about very many people...except for blood relatives and organ donors.  There is no relationship as pure as the relationship between a Mother and her child.

Deciding to have children, planned or not, is a continually momentous thing - it's like having a huge piece of your heart walking around on its own.  One of my favorite quotes about Mothers as from Washington Irving, author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. I think it sums it up quite nicely:

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity       takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." --Washington Irving

 My theory is that the moment a child is born, so is a Mom. The woman existed before, but never the Mom. A Mom and her children take this incredible journey together, which creates this incredible bond that is (almost) impossible to tear or break. I say 'almost' because there is no way to be a perfect Mother...but there are five million ways to be a good one.

Honestly, who else do you know that has magic spit that can can clean anything? Nobody else can make everything better with one kiss, one sentence, or one look into your eyes. And who else can know what you're going to do before you do it? (okay, Moms can do that simply because we've been there, done that and are still wearing the T-shirt...) Having said that, you must know that Mom can help you with any problem or situation that comes your way, because they have been there and can help you through almost every trial and tribulation you can get into.

The most amazing thing is that Moms do all this for free.  They do it 24/7, 365 days a year. All a Mom needs is the love of her child to make it all worth it.  And it is all worth it, trust me.

So kiddies, I think you know where I'm going with this.  Be good to your Mom. She's the only one you'll ever have. You should treat her like you do on Mothers day every day. Tell her you love her...and why. Tell her every day, every chance you get. Trust me, she will never, ever tire of hearing it. Hug her often and tightly.

So.....GO! Do it! Now!

Sadly, if you can't...just remember that she is always with you in your heart and memories, and her love and devotion to you is still here with every bit of strength as a hurricane.

All you Moms out there, let me leave you today with some wisdom you may be able to use. I hope it proves useful to you one day...

There are three ways to get something done.
1.  Hire someone to do it.
2.  Do it yourself.
3.  Forbid your kids to do it!

By the way, the number 3 method usually works the fastest.


I awoke this morning to roses, cards, kisses and hugs. And coffee. Strong coffee.

What do I do for my Mom on Mothers Day? I am making a special dinner for my Mom tonight, of course. I stick to what I'm good at....

Our Mothers Day Dinner Menu:

Steak au Poivre
Fingerling Potatoes with Aioli
String Beans with Shallots
Creme Brulee

I will post pictures and recipes later today for drooling purposes.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!! I love you, Mom. Thanks for loving me enough to not kill me. I don't ever want to be without you.

I truly hope every Mom out there as a wonderful day that is filled with laughter and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment